E-Waste Drop Off Event
Friday and Saturday April 28th & 29th
8:30am – 4:00 pm
Sears Parking Lot at La Cumbre Plaza (3845 State St.)
The City sponsors two free E-waste Recycling Drop Off events,usually in April and October, for all area residents and businesses. Events run on aFriday and Saturday.
What is accepted at e-waste events?
Rule of thumb: if it runs on batteries or a power cord, we take it (with just a few exceptions)*
- Computers, laptops, components & accessories (CPU, monitor, keyboard, mice, cables, external hard drives**, etc.)
- Power supplies
- TV of any kind (CRT, plasma, LCD, etc.)\
- Stereos and accessories (speakers, cables)
- Microwave ovens
- Phones (mobiles phones with batteries removed; landline phones plus cords)
- Other items: electric & battery-operated tools, vacuum cleaners, fans, light fixtures/lamps (remove bulbs), electronic toys/games, cameras, record players, VCRs, hair dryers, radios, fax or copy machines
* EXCEPTIONS: WHAT WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AT EVENTS
- Batteries of any kind; take then to a battery store or ABOP
- Fluorescent light bulbs (long tubes or curly), take to ABOP or County Transfer Station
- Large Appliances (washer, dryer, fridge, oven): call MarBorg for your free bulky item pickup, take toMarBorg C&D Facility or County Transfer Station.
- Printer cartridges – take to the Post Office (free mail in), ABOP, or area office stores
- Media (DVD, cassette tapes, CD, vinyl, floppy disk), take to ABOP
** All hard drives are completely disassembled and destroyed as per our vendor’s Information Security Policy.
What Is E-Waste?
E-waste is anything that has an electrical cord or runs on batteries. E-waste cannot be put in trash or recycling containers since it contains hazardous materials. In fact, it has been illegal to dispose of electronics with hazardous components since February, 2006. Common e-waste items include:
- computers, laptops, components & accessories (CPU, monitor, keyboard, mice, cables, external hard drives)
- TVs of any kind (CRT*, plasma, LCD, etc.)
- stereos and accessories (speakers, cables)
- all phones (mobiles phones with batteries removed; landline phones plus cords)
- electric & battery-operated tools
- light fixtures/lamps (remove bulbs)
- electronic toys/games, cameras
- CDs, DVDs, VHS tapes, and other media
*Damaged or broken CRT TVs must go to the County Transfer Station
**Modern Smoke Detectors contain radioactive material and must be mailed back the manufacturer
Reuse or Donate
Free Home Pickup Option
Included with your paid City Trash service are two annual large item (“bulky item”) pickups; you can use them to have e-waste collected. We also offer separate collection of “white goods,” which are large appliances like washers, dryers, and refrigerators.
- Each single-family home that pays a City trash bill is entitled to two bulky item pickups per year with an unlimited quantity of goods, plus unlimited white goods pickups. Call MarBorg at 963-1852 for an appointment, but wait until your assigned pickup day to place items at the curb.
- For multi-unit buildings, the landlord or property manager may schedule the two included bulky item pickups (and two white goods pickups) for the entire building by calling MarBorg. Residents must gather their large items on the appropriate day.
Everyday Drop-Off Options
There are several convenient facilities for Santa Barbara residents to properly recycle e-waste:
- Downtown Recycling Center (MarBorg ABOP) – Mon. – Sat. 8 AM to 4 PM; entrance at 132 Nopalitos St. (official address 725 Cacique); 963-1852
- South Coast Recycling & Transfer Station (County Transfer Station) – Mon. – Sat. 7 AM – 5 PM; 4430 Calle Real; 681-4345